Tuesday 30 October 2012

Post 48 New toy

What do all good marketers say - "buy on emotion and defend on logic". You see I've bought a small kiln. Now I'm a two kiln potter!!!

So my defence of this latest purchase is the intrinsic value I will get out of being able to do small scale firings for glaze, firing schedule and clay body testing. Fire a small number of samples, evaluate and test again without having to wait for the bigger kiln to have a nearly load ready or otherwise fire underloaded. This little one is certainly too small to fire all but the smallest bonsai pots. And how did I get it past the Senate Estimates Committee - well what all good long serving workers would do - make a claim on prior unrealised accrued benefits. It worked for me.

It's a Woodrow Minifire kiln with a firebox that is only 300 x 300 x 150. It comes with its own controller and runs on 240v so just plugs straight into a regular wall socket. At 1800 watts it's like running a big room heater for the duration of the firing, except the 'room' is just that little firebox. No wonder it can get up to 1280C in there.

In the picture you can see I've mounted it on a small trolley so it can be wheeled away and stored, works well. It only weighs 25 kilos but there's just no way to pick it up. That little white plug on the top is the vent.



It's had it's first test firing - I took those clay body additive test samples of Post 47 through the glaze firing schedule. The little programmable controller works a treat.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy to hear your advice, feedback or questions