Sunday 21 October 2012

Post 46 Four more new pots

I'm catching up on my backlog of bisqued pots. Only 2 more on the shelf now so will need to get on and make more.

The extensive glaze development and trial work has paid off. I have a couple of formulations now that will produce good stable outdoor glazes, with subtle tones and a surface with just a hint of satin. With the investment in time and resources to get these larger pots to bisque, it is a leap of faith to take a glaze that looks ok on a 35 x 50 test tile and put it on a pot. The dynamics in the kiln can produce a contradictory result. But fortunately with these 4 the result has been very close to the test result and just what I've been aiming for.



Pot 26 First of this new design and a little shape challenged without the external rim. I'm going to have to put one on the inside in future. The glaze is great and one I will certainly use again. The pot is 335 x  235 x 77, a little smaller than the others that follow.

 



 Pot 22 Came through really well and a good glaze. This more traditional pot shape seems to call for a darker colour and the brown works well. Final size at 377 x 274 x 91.

 



Oval Pot 24 with a nice differentiated cream/beige glaze breaking to sienna has the appearance of patination. I have profiled the pot wall with a lapstrake pattern to get that break and it has worked out well. Final size is 410 x 299 x 84.





Pot 18 has been hanging around for a while waiting for its turn in the kiln again. The wait was all about getting the right darker toned glaze which took some trial work. Same shape as no 22 finished up at 380 x 278 x 91. The picture doesn't do the glaze justice; a very attractive finish with evocative colours that shift with the lighting.

I made 2 new pots last week, currently drying, which takes the number to 30. 30 pots over 18 months has been a good apprenticeship and while the learning goes on I have reached a point where I think I can with some confidence in the result, turn out saleable quality pots.

1 comment:

Happy to hear your advice, feedback or questions