Monday 1 October 2012

Post 39 New pots drying



Today I have some new pots that have been drying for a couple of weeks and are just about ready to bisque.

The first is another of the oval I’ve made before but with a boat like fine clinker finish. It’s 440 x 320 x 90. 

 
The second is a cut down rimless version of an earlier model with more compact feet. The result is a pretty attractive tub with nice proportions. Dimensions at this point are 390 x 290 x 75.


And the last one is from a new mould, with a minimalist contemporary look and integrated foot. It’s 370 x 260 x 83.


Speaking about boats I’m thinking about Japanese boat names to label my pots. There are a number of traditional inshore fishing vessels that would be good candidates. Here’s a picture of a taraibune which would be a good name for a rimless oval!


These pots and one other are in the kiln and ready to go but just need a little longer to be thoroughly ‘warm’ dry. I’ve also got a number of test bars in there which have an assortment of additives to eventually test for deformation at maturity temperature. I made a couple of new ones up this week with additions of different types of sand.


From quite early on I cut the size of the shelves down. This was after doing a cone test on each shelf during a firing. With the shelves extending closer to the walls there was a quite large temperature differential from top to bottom which does not exist with them the size they now are. The pots can happily overhang the shelves as needed.
 
After this firing I’ll have a bit of a backlog of pots to glaze fire. I’ve got a few more little tweaks I want to test first and have bought a new small test kiln for glaze development. It’s due in a couple of weeks. With a smaller kiln I will be able to run more cycles of development without having to be limited in frequency by feeling the need to fill up the larger kiln.

1 comment:

  1. I really like the look of the last pot with integrated feet. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete

Happy to hear your advice, feedback or questions