Monday 11 February 2013

Post 73 Indian bow tie clamping

On my recent Indian trip I visited an amazing place called Jaisalmere, in the north west of Rajasthan, close to the border with Pakistan. It has always been on the trading frontier of India and was once a very rich place (no doubt still is like a lot of India).


The old town is inside the fortress and the 'houses' are more multi storeyed mini palaces, intricately decorated both inside and out.




Up on the fort wall you'll never guess what I found. Yes evidence of the old bow tie clamps used on the defensive stonework. The metal clamps have long since been robbed out but the rebates remain.


There was a post long ago where I raised these clamps and talked about a repair I was attempting on a pot that had cracked during bisque firing. Its taken a long time to get it into the kiln for glazing but it's there today. As I was giving it a wash down in preparation for applying the glaze I noticed a second crack.
 Isn't human nature amazing that we have to go back every now and then and retest cause and effect relationships, just to see that things haven't changed and they still apply. Well the message about building with clay of uniform moisture has been reinforced.
Having invested the time so far in this pot experiment what could I do but install a second bow tie on this other crack.The result will be clear tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy to hear your advice, feedback or questions