Saturday 2 February 2013

Post 71 First Shohin pots


It has been some time since I made my first Shohin prototype and mold, which is based on the profile of a 10th century BCE Chinese pot. That one was wheel thrown, no doubt on something like I saw in India.

 I took the profile and support skirt design of that pot and turned it into an oval shohin pot. Other things took my time and energy but at last I have had the chance and kiln space to glaze fire a few.
 
 
I think this yellow/mustard one is the pick of them. The digital rendering has made it a little more yellow than in the flesh but it is close enough. The finished pot is a cute 180mm x 145mm and just 60mm high. 


Here it is in a much more matte light brown mottle.


And this one is in a tenmoku glaze. I think the shine is ok for a shohin pot, they can be a little more showy sometimes. Tenmoku is iron rich and it is the iron crystallation on the surface that floats over the red-brown background.


 And the last one is in a matte cream, with a little differentiation in the application to bring in some tonal variation. I did a presentation today for the folks at the Toowoomba Bonsai Group and left them with this pot for a little fundraising raffle.

I have a few more ready to fire and a couple of those have a bit of a radical streak.Two are quite different and two follow the same design but have be 'antiqued' a bit and I plan to just stain these, but need to test a couple of combinations first.
They are fiddly little things to make and take more time than their size suggests!
I hope you like them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy to hear your advice, feedback or questions