Tuesday 4 August 2015

Post 205 New Tanuki

Some time ago while browsing the web looking at shows and species from our near north I came upon Pemphis acidulata in many forms. This is a great bonsai species which has been regularly collected from the wild in Indonesia and Malaysia and carved into amazing shapes. Apparently in cultivation they need a regular spray with salt water to thrive; sounds quite an interesting one to grow. 
 

 Apparently it is also an Australian species growing across the top of the country all around the coastline; also crocodile country. Now wouldn't it be nice to have one of these, but I'm not sure about the collection risks.


This one inspired me to think about another ceramic tanuki that I could grow an Australian native on - either a coastal tea tree or perhaps a Moonah. The Moonah appeals because it is very long lived and has a very fine foliage.


The one I have made is about 300mm high and is designed to take three trees as 'live veins'. This is the front and you can see the three tracks spiraling up the trunk. I've used the same off-white clay as my previous versions and it fires to a nice ivory colour, perfect for Pemphis deadwood simulation.


 This is from the left hand side.

 This is the back.

 And then the right hand side.


This last picture is a detail of the carving. The trunk is carved with oblong diagonal holes to replicate the 'ropey' trunk of the Coastal Tea Tree and also Moonah. I have some tubestock of both and in the next few weeks as spring beckons I'll put it together.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy to hear your advice, feedback or questions