Thursday 29 March 2012

Post 11 Glaze layering


Of all the glazes I trialled recently there were only a very few that were compelling and I mean irresistibly compelling. That’s got to be the criteria, not just ok. I have to admit though, the longer I look at some of them the better they look. Its a bit like looking at a paint swatch and wondering what it would look like in the wall. I did get a couple of clear glazes that worked out very well and if ever I need one, I now have a good choice.

Layering of glazes gives interesting results and adds an additional spontaneous flavour to the outcome. It also offers an alternative to a homogeneous surface finish and colour from a single glaze finish. Testing a number of combinations will definitely be a priority for the next tests. Amaco offer a great range of commercial glazes and have a full pictorial offering to demonstrate the results that can be achieved with glaze layering. http://www.amaco.com/amaco-school/layering-amaco-glazes/  The results have as much if not more to do with chemistry as colour.

And so it can only be back to the drawing board. I’ve looked at the recipes and where they were too glossy, or too transparent or lacked colour, made adjustments for another trial set. All it takes is a few hours and kilos of clay to produce another few dozen test tiles. That’s the easy part, before the weighing out of the multiple ingredients for each test glaze.

While getting ready for this I’ve produced another couple of pots too and so now have the kiln set for a bisque firing with three pots and test tiles to go. 

Here is a picture of a visitor to my garden this morning.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy to hear your advice, feedback or questions