Saturday 3 May 2014

Post 148 Tanuki update

Wayyyyy back in ancient history a couple of years ago I started making ceramic tanuki. Post 44 was the start.
The first of those two was started with a Daintree Pine which died soon after. When that happened I decided I needed a sargent juniper, which I didn't have at the time. That changed last year when I acquired some material and air layered off a number of prospective plants.

That took me through to somewhere like October last year when I finally mated this tanuki and sargent. Patience is a virtue I understand.


 This is the current status of the fruit of that work. The tree has firmly engaged onto the ceramic and has been growing well. Our long growing season is very helpful. After 7 months of growth it is only now coming to an end. The final plan includes removing that back branch, building the right hand branch which is moving vigourously now, and rounding out the canopy to keep it under the shohin ceiling.
By this time next year it will be at display standard. I have made a nice little round pot  for it - not fired yet - that will round out the composition nicely.


This is after a little photoshopping to begin to visualise where I'm heading.
I have a nice little collection of them now, two small ones and three larger, all with sargents attached. I've also got another 4 made and ready for the kiln. I should stop now I know but with the success of this one in a very short time it is hard to.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy to hear your advice, feedback or questions